Saturday, December 10, 2011

Everyone deserves a Happily Ever After

I have been thinking about relationships and love. Especially after reading
an article inquiring where the love has gone from R and B music. And after
spending a few years with high school students and listening to their
conversations, I have begun to wonder where the love has gone. There is plenty
of talk around sex and more sex and cheating and not getting caught. We all
laugh on the outside when we watch Maury to see who is not the father of a
beautiful baby pictured on video for all to see. We watch cheaters and reality
TV filled with emotional turmoil and strife. Then I begin to listen to my
friends who have been disillusioned and sold a bag of terrible goods when it
comes to relationships.
They are so wrapped up in hurt and despair that they
refuse to even give the thought of love another opportunity to enter their
lives. So then why are we surprised that love has vanished from R and B. Aretha,
Teddy, Marvin, Luther and Freddy used to rock us to slow jams that made you want
stay wrapped up in the arms of a loved one and hang in there for the ride. Now,
we want a quickie in the dark with protection (the only bonus), and no
conversation. Boring! I choose to be happy. Not because I fell for a Disney
picture hook line and sinker. But because I have been in love, and fortunately
have been loved back without regrets or trauma. I mean real love that never had
me apologizing for who I was, and one that encouraged me to be me at all times.
Even when that me was cranky, rude, teary, or confused. Even though, I am
single. I am very hopeful that love will venture back my way. I am also hopeful
that all of my single friends who are beautiful will find a similar soul to be
content with.
And I realize that perfection does not exist, but happiness does.
No matter how stressful your job or financial situation may be, the least you
deserve is joy from a significant other. You should be able to sit with someone
you are interested in and have a great conversation, and want to spend time with
them. Just because it makes you feel good. Nothing needy. Just honest
companionship that makes you feel as if you are a part of something truly
inspirational. Now some may ready this, and say that it is sappy. But, I
remember listening to those songs, especially the ones by Earth Wind and Fire.
The ones that gave us hope that there was always something better, and that we
deserved to be a part of something greater than us. No matter what you believe
in.
Believe in love. Have a love fest with yourself first. and then venture out
and find your happy ending. They do exist. For all of us. I know I am not afraid
to give it another try. And I want my daughter to grow up and not be afraid or
swayed by those who have lost love and are now only searching for physical
pleasure. Instead of emotional and spiritual longevity. Trust me. If you can
find all three, emotional, spiritual and physical contentment. It is always
worth it. And it always feels good.

1 comment:

  1. you right it is sappy...but hopeful

    probably the most powerful line was " I realize that perfection does not exist, but happiness does."

    & that is true...

    ReplyDelete